Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Marvel Vs. Capcom 3

I played the original and the sequel in passing. To be frank, the main reason I played it was for the Marvel characters. Anime, as a genre, is something I have absolutely no interest in. Fighting games, by and large, don't progress and grow the way other games do. There's rarely a giant leap in the genre the way shooters or RPGs have them. And some gaming franchises lag way behind others. The Marvel Vs. Capcom series is one such as this. The second in the series was still using pixelated characters at a time when Mortal Kombat was already far into 3D-rendering. Flash forward to today, and it seems the franchise has finally gotten itself an update.

As with all game trailers, I take them with a pinch of salt. There was a time, and older gamers will remember this vividly, where a game trailer had almost zero to do with the gameplay itself. Case in point - the Wizards & Warriors advert from the 1980s. The trailer for Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 is the usual mixture of whizz-bang bright lights and special effects. It features Morrigan (who?!), Iron Man, Wolverine and my personal favourite, the Hulk battling across an urban landscape. If you haven't see the trailer, check it here. Personally, I'm reticent to throw my support behind. If it needed a decade to get support for it, then why fucking do it?

I don't think the game will represent a giant leap forward in fighting games. This franchise, if anything, has a history of using outdated technology. That said, it has an in-built audience who'll lap this shit up. And - fool that I am - when it comes, I'll probably end up buying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment