Monday, April 19, 2010

What is on his mind...

"A man only curses because he doesn't know the words to express what is on his mind."
- Malcolm X

I have always disagreed with this. From an early age, we are thought to believe that bad language is, well, bad. Very bad. So bad, in fact, that it warrants education. I vividly remember once when I was in 2nd Year in Secondary School. My German teacher, Ms. Kiernan, had ordered me to write out some passage ten times as punishment for mistranslating the piece. As I slumped back to my desk, my friend Phillip Kelly asked me what happened. My words were, "I have to write it out ten fucking times." I'll never forget what happened next. "Mister Lloyd, see me after class - you're in big trouble."

Of course, she wailed on me for about ten minutes and vowed to report to my Year Head. Which she did. Of course, I never cursed in her presence again. The reason this sticks out in my mind is because, even now, I think she overreacted. I mean, I can look back on all the disciplinary decisions that were made on my part and admit with hindsight that it was for the best. This, on the other hand, I can't let go of. Who does "bad" language hurt? I'm not talking about derogatory language or racial slurs. I'm talking about usage of the word 'fuck' as an adjective. It adds texture to language. It heightens the exclamation attached to whatever it is you're describing. It is, to my mind, the most versatile word in the English language. If you haven't see the documentary 'FUCK', I would implore you to see it.

Back to the topic. A particular woman I know goes absolutely batshit whenever someone uses the word 'cunt'. That happens to my favourite curse word. It's so visceral, acerbic - I love it. Say it to yourself now. The heavy 'K' sound just makes it all the more rougher and guttural. Now, I would rarely - if ever - use it to refer to a woman's genitalia. Nor would I use to describe a woman. The term is, to me, asexual and can be used on both men and women. I am, however, aware of the connotations it has for women. But is it not a case of women making the fuss? Is this woman simply making an issue out of this word?


Let's look at Josh Homme. He was reprimanded severely for using the word 'faggot' onstage when someone tried to throw a bottle at him. Like anyone would, he lost his temper and screamed expletives into the crowd at the man. The gay community went berserk and branded him as homophobic. Now. Give me a minute to sidestep any land-mines here. I know, for a fact, that gay people refer to one another as faggots. Now, this may be a case of them using the word to negate its negative connotations. In fact, I barely know anyone that uses that word as a derogatory term. It has no effect. Precisely because gay people use it to describe one another. I don't think Josh Homme is homophobic. I think he used the word in a mindless fashion. Now, if the gay community wanted to take umbrage with him over using the word to describe a bad person - then fair enough. It'd be like trying to take on a wave of piss by whipping your dick out and adding to it. In other words, ultimately futile. So why do it? Why go after them? Incidentally, he came out (no pun intended) afterwards with a huge letter, apologising profusely for using the word, refuting his status as a homophobe and so forth. And no more was mentioned of it.

The reason I use this case is because I find people that take offence to language used often have an agenda. In other words, they add the negative connotation to the word. They, personally, find it offensive. And they are attempting to impose their own views on the word on you. Now, I'm not advocating cursing in front of children or whatever. But what I am suggesting is that we basically take a liberal view of it and realise that they are simply words - and nothing more. We make the negative connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment